New Zealand Divisional Cavalry
|The Divisional Cavalry Regiment was the first amoured
regiment formed in New Zealand during the war. Despatched overseas in three echelons
the second was diverted to England and assisted in its defence during the Battle of
Britain. It rejoined the Regiment in 1941 and the whole regiment (along with the 2nd
Division) was sent to Greece, fighting there and in Crete before returning to Egypt.
It took part in Operation Crusader in November/December 1941 after which the New Zealand
Division was sent to Syria. It returned to Egypt in 1942 in time for the First
Battle of Alamein and fought with the 8th Army until the final surrender of Axis troops in
Tunisia. In 1943 it was reconstituted as an amoured car unit with Staghounds
fighting largely with these in Italy from 1943-45 before being turned into an infantry
unit for the final battles on the Adriatic Coast.
soldiers inspect a captured Marmon Herrington Mk II of the
Divisional Cavalry in Greece. The vehicle is completed in and
unknown two-tone scheme, possibly of light stone over painted with
patches of green (including the inside of the rear door. The unit
serial is on the side of the engine deck and, unusually, the B
Squadron insignia is carried on the hull side.
shot of the scene above NEW!!!!
||A Universal Carrier of the
Divisional Cavalry at Maadi Camp in Egypt in 1940/41. It carries the unit serial 2
in black square on the driver's trackguard cover and the silver fern insignia of the 2nd
NZ Division on the other. The B Squadron square is on the side and inside it the
letter 1, presumably indicating first troop, the colour is unknown but believed to be
||A Marmon-Herrington Mk 2 of the Divisional Cavalry at
Maadi Camp during preparations for its despatch to Greece. At this stage it is in
the standard desert scheme of sand, dark earth and dull-blue. The divisional
insignia is carried on the hull side behind the radiator doors and the B Squadron insignia
and troop number are found on both the turret and hull sides.
||A Universal Carrier of the Divisional Cavalry in the
Western Desert in 1941. By this stage the regimental serial number was 81 and this
Carrier has this on the driver's side trackguard cover and a troop or vehicle number on
|| One of the Stuarts recaptured from the Afrika Korps
at Sidi Rezegh and handed over to the Divisional Cavalry, now in use outside Bardia.
It is still in its original camouflage scheme of sand, dark earth and dull-blue, complete
with RAC colours on the turret and sand shields. Its name is
||A Staghound of A Squadron of the Divisional Cavalry in
Italy in 1943/4. The tac sign is now the combination one of the unit serial number
below the divisional insignia and carried on the driver's side. The colours for the
unit serial were green over blue.
Back to Kiwis in
Armour main page
March 09, 2008